- Top Rated Step Stools Comparison Chart 2019
- Best Step Stool Reviews – (Recommended Picks)
- 1. Gorilla 2-Step Aluminium Ultra Light Step Stool
- 2. Shade Folding 3 Step Stool with Tray
- 3. Cramer 1001-01 Kik Step Stool
- 4. Cosco Retro Chair Step Stool
- 5. Hailo 4342-001 Safety Plus Step Stool
- 6. KidKraft Large Flip Wooden Step Stool
- 7. Arredamenti Italia Wooden Step Stool
- 8. Rubbermaid RM-SLA3-T Step Stool
- 9. DoubleSafe Deluxe Step Stool with Handrail
- 10. Acko 16 Inch Super Strong Folding Step Stool
- How We Tested and Selected the Step Stools?
- What to Look for When Choosing a Step Stool
- Why Do You Need a Step Stool?
- Safety Guidelines
- Types of Step Stools, Features and Benefits
- Wrap Up
Today, we will be talking about the top 10 best step stools available on the market right now. These stools are useful in a variety of applications, convenient in kitchens, garages, and just around the house in general. Of course, you might be thinking why a review of each of them is necessary, as isn’t one step stool more or less the same as any other? The answer is, surprisingly, not really! While all step stools share the same basic function, they offer a variety of designs and weight handling capabilities. This means that different types of step stools will suit the needs of different people.
In this detailed review, I’ll go through what I feel are the best step stools for the money. Then I will discuss a bit of my methodology in choosing the top rated models. Finally, I will provide a bit of advice that might help to make your final choice a bit easier.
Top Rated Step Stools Comparison Chart 2019
In our comparison chart of best step stools, you’ll find some basic information about each of the step stool that is further down in our review section. You can compare, analyze and shortlist your favorite model based on all of its key features. To help you easily navigate and find the right products, we’ve also kept this same order of products mirrored in our review section while you scroll down the page to the conclusion.
|Ranking||Name||Height from Ground||Weight Handling Capacity||Dimensions||Product Weight||Price|
|1.||Gorilla 2-Step Stool||28 Inches||225 lbs||41.5 x 18.875 x 3.5||6 lbs||Check Price|
|2.||Shade Folding 3 Step Stool||30 Inches||330 lbs||28.7 x 17.7 x 52||15.2 lbs||Check Price|
|3.||Cramer Rolling Step Stool||14 Inches||350 lbs||15.6 x 15.6 x 14||10 lbs||Check Price|
|4.||Cosco Retro Chair Step Stool||24 Inches||225 lbs||23.4 x 16.1 x 35.3||19.4 lbs||Check Price|
|5.||Hailo 4342-001 Safety Plus||27 Inches||330 lbs||58.8 x 19 x 56||11.25 lbs||Check Price|
|6.||KidKraft Wooden Step Stool||8 Inches||-||12 x 7 x 12||7.19 lbs||Check Price|
|7.||Arredamenti Italia 3 Step||23.62 Inches||220 lbs||18.9 x 26 x 45.7||15.43 lbs||Check Price|
|8.||Rubbermaid 3-Step Ladder||29 Inches||225 lbs||19.7 x 3.5 x 56||7 lbs||Check Price|
|9.||Deluxe Step Stool with Handrail||33.5 Inches||300 lbs||13.75 x 11.25 x 17.5||13 lbs||Check Price|
|10.||Acko Folding Step Stool||16 Inches||400 lbs||19.9 x 14.8 x 1.7||3.4 lbs||Check Price|
Best Step Stool Reviews – (Recommended Picks)
Welcome to our steps stool reviews section. Here we take a look at the most popular and top-rated step stools shown in our comparison chart. We have handpicked these units to fulfill needs of different types of people at schools, libraries, kitchens, warehouses, home, shops and other worksites, etc. By reading our in-depth review you’ll get a better idea about each product and how it can fulfill your specific requirements. We also keep on updating our pages monthly, so that you’re always looking at freshest product selection from the market.
This is not an expensive step stool. It claims a Type II Duty Rating, but this is just a fancy way of saying it can support up to 225 lbs of weight. It weighs in at a mere 6 lbs, and is constructed using light yet sturdy aluminium with plastic fittings and stepping surfaces.
The upper step of the Gorilla Ladders 2-Step Aluminium Step Stool is quite generous, being both wider and deeper than on other models, allowing you to rest your entire foot on a stable, ribbed surface. This is a great aid to safety and stability, but is also more comfortable than standing on a shallower step for extended periods.
The final feature that makes this my top-rated step stool choice is the integrated tool rack and safety bar at the top. Many lightweight stools have a similar bar as a carry handle, but this one offers generous surface and tool slots, making it very useful for handling pesky and elevated home maintenance projects.
I found this step stool to be an excellent and versatile choice. The Shade offers 3 steps, so it can access those higher, hard to reach places. Each step is very generous, with plenty of space to rest your feet instead of a narrow bar that your toes and heel end up overhanging.
The Shade Folding 3 Step Stool provides a very nice 330 lbs maximum user weight support, making it a good choice for heavier guys who need to bring heavy tools to an elevated task.
Speaking of tools, in addition to the 3 steps, there is a fourth panel at the top with a variety of slots and recessed spaces to store tools in a variety of shapes, secure for your working needs.
Admittedly, if you’re using the 3rd step this puts your tools just below waist height and could make access a bit awkward, but it’s a minor adjustment, not a huge flaw.
The Shade Folding 3 Step Stool weighs in at 15.2 lbs, so it isn’t as light and easy to use as other steps tools. However, if you find yourself working at semi-elevated levels like in kitchen on a regular basis, it’s the best heavy duty step stool on the market right now.
The Cramer 1001-01 Kik Step Stool uses a neat little design, consisting of a cylindrical base with a single elevated stepping surface. This provides the user a foot or so of extra reach. It can also support a whopping 350 lbs of weight, as it is made up of solid steel.
This heavy built comes at a cost, of course. It weighs a significant 10 lbs, which is a lot for a stool that provides so little elevation. However, the Kik Step makes up for it with an innovative set of rollers on the underside.
So, this rolling step stool can be steered and maneuvered with one foot, and then the rollers lock down in place when weight is applied to the stool, keeping it from skidding about and endangering the user. Rubberized casting on the base protects walls, floorboards, and other surfaces from collisions when it’s rolled into place.
The 1001-01 Kik Step stool is a bit bulky, and doesn’t fold down. But it makes an excellent stool to have if you’re frequently getting stuff from higher shelves and need a lot of use, such as in a small business with elevated stock or libraries.
I admit that this design only works with a certain retro style of decor, but I could not pass this up. My grandmother had a similar stool in her home, and I was fascinated with it as a kid.
This step stool mimics the look of a 1950s or early 1960s style of diner “bar” chair, with an integrated stool. It looks great with a reddish-brown surfacing over chrome support structures.
The step element folds underneath the seat, storing back out of the way and allowing you to use it as an elevated seating surface. These awesome features make it a great workshop chair that can be converted into a stool as required. In addition, it also makes a good footrest when seated, if you prefer.
You may wish to buy a cushion if you do plan to sit on the step stool for extended periods of time. It can support up to 225 lbs of user weight and weighs in at 16.6 lbs.
The Hailo 4342-001 Safety Plus offers multifunction tray, ergonomic knee rest and ultra-high safety rail. It can support up to 300 lbs of user weight and offers easy storage as well. The step stool uses safety bar magnets which make it easier to hold metal tools. When using Hailo, you will notice the wide foot steps to make your working more secure.
What we really love about the 4342-001 Safety Plus is its safety rail, which makes you feel stable on heights. The lip on top of tray comes in handy to hold smaller things for you. With this feature, you do not need any external help to hold stuff for you.
When it comes to the price, you will find the Hailo is a bit expensive as compared to Gorilla. It is also bulky which makes it difficult to carry around. Overall, it is a good step stool and recommended buy for 2019.
The KidKraft Large Flip wooden step stool is a nice, multifunction piece of furniture you can provide your toddler as they begin asserting their independence and curiosity.
As expected, it consists of a large, fixed base, with a “step” that can flip up to form a small seat. This gives your child a way to reach spots, in the bathroom or elsewhere, while also giving them a piece of wooden furniture close to the floor for all their Important Projects.
The KidKraft wooden step stool weighs in at 7.2 lbs and comes in both a Large and Small size based on your needs.
The Arredamenti Italia Wooden Step Stool uses a slim design and folds up into a roughly 3″ wide space back to front. It’s reasonably hefty at 15 lbs, but the storage convenience makes it an ideal kitchen stool.
It can be brought out as needed for high shelves, and stored away in a convenient hideaway when not needed. The wooden furniture has a gorgeous aesthetic as well.
The Italia Wooden Step Stool also has a generous surface on the top step, giving plenty of stability when up high. It can support 220 lbs, making it “medium” duty rather than heavy.
It has a very lightweight aluminium construction at 8 pounds, when considering that it is a 3 step stool.
Further, the Rubbermaid offers a generous work area, with a highly elevated work surface full of contoured tool slots. It’s actually better positioned for use than the tool space on the Gorilla, and is also ANSI Type II (225 lb) rated.
The only reason I rate this stool lower is because of its expensive price tag.
That said, it is an excellent lightweight stool on the market right now.
It consists of a single stool step with a textured, nonslip surface. Rising along the sides are two elevated hand rails to allow ease of stepping for users.
This is a perfect safety step stool for people who need some hand assistance getting in and out of the bathtub, or to assist guests who might have difficulty stepping out of a car.
It is rated to a 300 lbs capacity, weighs only 5 lbs and can be adjusted for handlebar height.
It also folds up completely into a small, rectangular space. When done, the small stool can be easily stored with a minimum of fuss. It has excellent use as a garden “seat stool” or a simple stool to bring out when you don’t need to access stuff on higher shelves frequently.
The Acko Step Stool is a recommended buy. The only reason I haven’t rated it higher is because of its limited height which also limits its utility.
How We Tested and Selected the Step Stools?
Before starting our testing process, we shortlisted some of the most popular step stools available on the market. Each of these filtered out units were manufactured by most prestigious brands with a good trackable history. Later, we tested each of these step ladders practically and wrote down the points each gained in each of our testing categories. At first, we eliminated the units made up of wood as its prone to breaking and splitting away after certain period of time. Furthermore, some of the most expensive step ladders also didn’t make the cut as they did not provide enough value for money to the end-user.
We rated step stools based on quality of materials, sturdiness, folding mechanisms and overall design. The offered safety mechanisms such as safety lock system also made big part of our selection process. If any step stool was lacking safety lock or did not provide enough spread for balance, we would quickly eliminate it from the list. Furthermore, we phased out the units that were not capable of providing enough weight support. Being lightweight for swift portability was also one of the prime factors in our ranking chart.
Some of the technical aspects we focused on during our selection process included having ample step feet to support large bodies, small rubber feet at bottom to stick the unit properly on the ground and maximum height it can provide to the end-user. We also paid attention to common flaws and complaints about each model reported by the testers. The warranty offered by the manufacturer for each of their products also made our selection process a whole lot easier.
What to Look for When Choosing a Step Stool
The specific type of step stool you choose is influenced by why you need it. A stool for the kitchen will need to be light and movable, but easily storable to get it out of the way of counter space. The stool for getting safely in and out of the bathtub, on the other hand, needs to focus more on safety and support. When picking up any stool, you must keep few factors in mind:
- Height: In order to perform certain activities, you need to achieve a specific level of height. Picking up the right step stool to help you reach high ceilings, tall cabinets and hard to reach shelves is the most important aspect of selection process. In most cases, a 3-step or two-step stool is good enough to meet all your requirements in and around the house in general. As a rule of thumb, go for the extra height so that it feels safe when you are trying to reach difficult spots while standing on the stool. Make an estimate about the level of height you can reach with full arms extension and then see the extra boost a step stool can provide you. For shorter boosts like getting in and out of vehicles, a small step stool is rather the perfect option.
- Weight: Always buy a stool that offers highest weight rating. Although, you may not need it for now but it makes the use more versatile. If you are lifting heavy items while standing on the unit, you are less prone to breaking or damaging it. Even better, other people who are bulkier than you can also use the product with ease.
- Home or Commercial Use: Better decide if you need a step stool for household or commercial use. If you want it for home, a mid-range unit can help you carry out all occasional and minor tasks. However, it is completely opposite scenario if you intend to use it for commercial purposes. For warehouses or worksites, it is recommended to opt for a rugged and durable metal step stool that can endure both rough and rigorous use.
- Safety: With a handle grip, you will feel much safer and stable while using the step stool. The wide feet garnished with slip resistant materials are absolute necessary for good safety. Even better, if you have safety lock mechanism in place to make your work more secure. In general, step stool accidents are not as dangerous as with ladders. There is a considerable difference between falling from 3 feet and 20 feet height respectively.
- Durability: Are you looking to use a step stool for long term? If yes, then pay attention to the type of materials, design and weigh rating of the unit. You definitely won’t like the unit to break in the time of using it. It should last for a long time and provide good value for the money. With good step stools, they are always hard to break, feel much secure and grip tight to the ground.
- Portability: This extends beyond simply being able to carry the thing. Can you get it in and out of the selected storage space? Can you set it up unassisted? You may have noticed that our top-ranking step stools are quite lightweight. Always pay attention to the dimensions, weight, folding capacity, wheel mounting and wheel traction features when finalizing a specific model. See if it can be easily tucked away in your car trunk if you need to transport it away from home or worksite.
- Price: There are dozens of products out there on the market with a wide range of prices. You need to find something to fit your budget without compromising on quality. From low to high price points, you will find several brands that manufacture step stools. In our analysis, the mid-range items turn out to be equally as good as high-priced units in most cases.
- Décor: Some step stools need to stay out for extended periods. For example, a stool in a large home library might not be stored away. Does it fit with the decor of your home? Will you be happy with it sitting in view? Find out answers to these questions before you rush out and pull the trigger on your most favorite step stool or ladder.
Why Do You Need a Step Stool?
A step ladder is a small portable stool that uses multiple flat steps and is capable of folding and self-supporting. The exact number of steps on each ladder varies and users can ascend or descend all steps one-by-one to reach either top or bottom position.
During our research we found that people use step stools and ladders for a variety of reasons. This is exactly why there are so many types of products available on the market to cater each user’s needs. You will find these stools being used at various places such as shops, workshops, warehouses, libraries and homes to easily access and perform maintenance tasks. They come in real handy when you need to reach heighted locations to reach lights, changing bulbs, accessing files or moving items from shelves, etc.
Some of the other common uses include getting in and outside of vehicles for physically disabled, reaching painting walls or ceilings, helping kids to use bathroom and brushing. Not everyone can reach every place in a kitchen with high ceilings and counter-space, for example. Lightbulbs need changing, and some folks just enjoy DIY project such as installing their own designer fittings that might be higher up. The step stools are very useful for various other situations as well. Their wide application and use also encourage manufacturers to categorize them into several types and qualities.
One of the most popular type is the folding step stool that can be folded away with ease to occupy less space. It comes in multiple sizes such as large folding ladders that are used for higher boosts while small folding units are selected to accomplish minor height-oriented tasks. On top of all that, you can also choose type of material such as plastic or metal to suit your requirements. It is very important to select the right kind of material to fulfill your needs properly.
It is important to mention that each person’s specific needs or type of use also make big part of the purchasing decision. For example, it is perfectly suitable to use plastic step stools for less exhausting tasks in schools, offices, libraries or general home use. These are not only sturdy but also lightweight to carry around. On the other hand, if you plan to use them rigorously at warehouses or worksites, then you should opt for metal step stools. Overtime, such units are capable of tolerating even greater wear and tear and can stand the test of time. Metal stools have loading capacities and material strength that is much higher as compared to plastic units. Regardless of the type of material and design you choose, it is best to consider safety aspects first before you hit that buy button. Always make sure that your selected ladder uses non-slip materials to prevent any injuries that may occur during its use.
Here are some of the safety guidelines and precautions to follow when using step stools or ladders:
- Must check condition of the step ladder before using it. Look for damaged or missing parts, condition of climbing and anti-slippery surface. If you are suspicious about anything, stop using the product and get an appropriate replacement.
- Analyze the status of anti-slippage feet at bottom of step stool. Ensure if you have the right foot wear to avoid slip out. Furthermore, refrain from placing the ladder on wet or unstable surfaces.
- Do not use the step ladder if it is not levelled properly with all its four feet gripped on the ground. Avoid placing it over unstable objects such as boxes or other items to gain more height.
- Make sure that spread of step ladder is properly opened and locked. Never use it in partially opened position with locking mechanism not engaged.
- Either climbing up or down, direction of your face must be towards the ladder.
- Place the stool near to your work location during use. Align your body properly and avoid over-reaching to avoid accidental fall off.
- If you need to move or change location of step ladder, must come down first, relocate and then climb up in the end.
- Never put anything on top of the ladder during storage. Also keep it out of very hot and humid environments to prevent wear and tear.
Types of Step Stools, Features and Benefits
There are a number of types of stools, but they can be broken down into several types. There are utility stools, meant for working projects. There are convenience stools, meant to improve access to spaces in a given area. Then there are mobility stools, meant to improve a person’s ability to use restroom facilities, or rise up and down an area such as a high bed.
Step stools come, as we’ve seen, with a number of features. They might include tool racks, non-slip surfaces, or even convert into seating arrangements. Don’t simply judge a stool on the basis of whether it’s tall enough!
Further, step stools can provide a number of benefits. They increase safety by allowing you to get to the height you need to complete a project in the way standing on a chair cannot.
The stools increase mobility for people with back and leg problems, particularly in the case of stools with handrails.