One of the best things about the FreeMotion 890 treadmill is its large screens. The HDTV is 15 inches and makes running or walking easier by offering you a reward bundle: The opportunity to watch your favorite show while getting your cardio in.
The treadmill doesn’t stop there though; just below the TV screen is a separate 10-inch touch screen for controlling the treadmill and tracking your workout data.
Knowing the treadmill’s technical specifications will help you determine whether this machine can fit in your available space. As one of the heavy duty fitness machines, this takes up less than three feet in width and is about 6 feet long. It is also foldable, which we really liked since not all heavy duty treadmills are.
- Length : 72 inches
- Width : 22 inches
- Height : 57 inches
- Frame Dimension: 57 x 34 x 72
- Running Surface Length: 60 inches
The 60 inches of running surface is well-suited to almost any runner, including those who have long strides.
Treadmills offer a wide variety of features that can be divided into two categories-those belonging to the treadmill itself and those belonging to the console or onboard computer. The more expensive a treadmill, the better the quality of its parts and the fancier the console.
- 4.25 CHP commercial pro motor – This motor’s 4.25 CHP rating means it is a strong motor that runs quietly.
- 0-12 mph speed – The speed options come pretty standard in treadmills in this price range.
- 0-15% incline / -3-0% decline – The incline option is pretty standard. The decline option allows runners to simulate some downhill work, a feature many treadmills lack.
- Surface response suspension cushioning – The Freemotion 890 boasts surface response suspension cushioning to help bear the brunt of the pounding that the joints normally take while running.
- Dual-grip heart rate monitor with Polar® wireless chest strap – This treadmill comes with a heart-rate monitor chest strap included.
- 22″ x 60″ 2-ply, commercial-grade treadbelt – The 2-ply tread is a great feature because they tend to last longer and run quieter than other standard 1-ply tread belts.
- Foldable, space-saving design – Even though this treadmill is pretty big when ready to use, the fact that it is foldable is a definite plus for users who need to keep some of their space free for other uses.
- CoolAire fan – Onboard fans help keep you cool while you work out, and this CoolAire fan has multiple settings to let you control the air flow.
- Max weight capacity – This treadmill has a maximum capacity of 400 lbs, but some users weighing less report problems with the belt.
- 15″ HDTV – Although not all treadmills in this category come with televisions, this one features a pretty large screen that is easy to see. Some users report that the TV did not appear to be high definition, but others said it was perfect and that they used it more than they expected. The TV can be hooked up to a tablet or stream from other devices like Chromecast as it has coaxial, HDMI, and RCI inputs.
- 10″ full-color touch display with Android-powered browser – The Freemotion 890 features a 10″ touch screen that is separate from the TV screen. It is compatible with Google Maps, and it allows you to create a route anywhere in the world and shows pictures from the route.
- iFit enabled / Compatible with iPod – The treadmill is iFit enabled, which does require a subscription, and it is also compatible with mp3 players and ipods.
- 40 workout apps for variety – The Freemotion 890 treadmill offers 40 different workout apps to give you plenty of options. Run hills or intervals, or run hills while running intervals in Rome!
- Workout Data – One of the best things about high-end treadmills is how they track your work out data. The Freemotion treadmill 890 tracks all of your typical workout data like calories burned, time, distance and pace. If you choose to use one of the pre-programmed workouts, it will also automatically adjust incline and decline for you. The treadmill is also compatible with iFit, which can track even more of your workout information although it does require a separate subscription.
The warranty for the Free motion 890 treadmill is pretty standard. The frame has a lifetime warranty, as does the motor. There is a five year warranty for parts, and the manufacturer limits labor to two years.
Shipping and Assembly Details
This treadmill is heavy! It weighs about 320 pounds because of its steel frame, which means it should hold up well under lots of use.
We needed two people to put the treadmill together. Most users reported assembly was not that big a deal for them, taking anywhere from one and a half to three hours.
However, many also took advantage of professional assembly to save time and make sure everything was done correctly.
On to the Opinions
This treadmill excels in a lot of areas.
- First, it has a strong motor with a high CHP rating that should last a long time.
- Second, its heavy steel frame can take a beating. Both the frame and the motor are guaranteed by a lifetime warranty.
- Third, it features a standard running belt size as well as a 2-ply treadbelt and extra cushioning for achy joints.
- We liked the FreeMotion 890’s TV; it worked well and was easy to use with a variety of input options, including cable, tablets, dvd players and streaming devices.
- The 10-inch touch screen is just below the TV, and this is nice and large and easy to see and use while mid-run.
The Not So Good:
- Several customers have mentioned that working with customer service to replace parts or get a technician in to repair the treadmill is not easy. The warranty’s limited backing for both parts and labor is also not impressive considering the issues these customers are having.
- Finally, some heavier customers have mentioned problems with the treadbelt slipping while running.
Final Verdict: Is the FreeMotion 890 Treadmill a Good Deal?