The ProForm brand is a popular one in workout circles. They make treadmills at all price points, and their 520 ZN comes in at mid-range price though you may be able to get it cheaper on sale if you look around. ProForm does a good job manufacturing quality products, and the ProForm 520 ZN is a solid treadmill without a lot of extras.
The treadmill is a midrange option as far as treadmills go. That means it’s going to have enough horsepower and console options to satisfy the needs of most runners.
- Length : 73.3 inches
- Width : 35.74 inches
- Height : 68.11 inches
- Running Surface Length: 20 x 55 inches
The 55 inches of tread belt is good enough for most runners. If you are tall, however, or have longer strides, this may not be enough running surface for you.
When deciding on a treadmill, you want to figure out what your priorities are for your particular budget. For a midrange option like this one, you should look at the features of the treadmill itself as well as those of the console.
- 2.5 CHP commercial pro motor: This motor’s 2.5 CHP rating means it will power your runs relatively well, but it does not have the horsepower of some of the more expensive treadmills.
- 0-10 mph speed: The treadmill has a QuickSpeed option that allows you to change your speed options fast with one touch on the console.
- 0-10% incline: The ProForm 520 ZN allows you to adjust your incline to add variety to your workout.
- ProShox Cushioning: ProForm has trademarked their ProShox cushioning, which is designed to help soften the impact of walking or running on your body.
- Grip Pulse EKG heart rate monitor: This treadmill contains sensors to help you check your heart rate and stay in the right zone for your activity.
- 1.9″ Precision Machined and Balanced Non-Flex Rear Roller: ProForm designed their rear roller to reduce wear on the treadbelt.
- SpaceSaver design: The ProForm 520 ZN is a pretty big treadmill, but the brand utilizes a SpaceSaver design that allows you to fold the treadmill out of the way in one easy movement.
- CoolAire fan: The CoolAire fan allows you to stay cool during your workout, and it features a one-touch adjustment button on the console.
- Max weight capacity: The manufacturer rates this treadmill as having a weight limit of 300 lbs.
- Backlit display: The treadmill boasts of a large backlit display. This gives you the ability to stay motivated and on top of your workout as you track your statistics.
- iPod Compatible: The ProForm 520 ZN has an iPod music port and sound system to allow you to listen to your music or podcasts during your workout.
- 18 workout apps for variety: The variety of pre-programmed workout apps allows you to change up your activity as often as you’d like.
- Workout Data: While some of the cheaper treadmills do not allow you to track your workout data, the ProForm 520 ZN will display your distance, calories burned, time spent and the speed you’re traveling.
The warranty for the ProForm treadmill is pretty standard.
The frame boasts a lifetime warranty, but the motor is only guaranteed for 25 years.
There is a one-year warranty for parts as well as labor.
Shipping and Assembly Details
Although this treadmill is one of the more basic treadmills that ProForm offers, it can still take time to put together. Because of how heavy it is, expect to need help getting the parts out of the box and putting it together.
It weighs 195 lbs assembled, which is not too heavy for a treadmill, and with the SpaceSaver design and wheels on two of the legs, it is not too difficult for one person to move around if necessary.
On to the Opinions
- This treadmill is a reliable option without being too expensive.
- Although the onboard computer doesn’t have as many of the fancy options that more expensive treadmills do, it does contain some pretty solid pre-programmed workout apps.
- In addition, the ProForm 520 ZN provides speed and incline options that will satisfy the needs of most runners. Even the best treadmills offer only a few more miles per hour than this model.
- We liked how quiet this treadmill was.
- The treadbelt ran pretty smooth and the ProShox cushioning does a good job of minimizing impact on joints.
- The treadmill was relatively easy to put together.
The Not So Good:
ProForm is a pretty good brand when it comes to treadmills, and the 520 ZN is one of their cheapest options.
- Correspondingly, its 2.5 CHP motor is not super impressive considering that many ProForm treadmills have 3.5 and 4.5 CHP motors.
- The LCD display is also fairly small and not always easy to use in the middle of your workout.
- Some users have noted that the backlight stops working after a time, making the display difficult to read.
- Another thing you should note if you’re tall is the 55 inches of treadbelt as some runners need as many inches as 60 for a comfortable stride.
- You may also want to skip this treadmill if you are looking for a better warranty on parts and labor.