The Total Gym XLS Home Gym is best-suited for everybody regardless of age, sex or current fitness level. It tones and strengthens every important muscle group of your upper and lower body. No matter if you want to sculpt your body, control weight, maintain health or want to increase energy in your daily activities, the Total Gym XLS has got you all covered. All you need is to spend 10 to 15 minutes on the home gym and start to realize the amazing benefits overtime.
The XLS Home Gym enables you to perform well-illustrated exercises from the comfort your home. Some of these include squats, single leg squats, pull ups, leg curls (seated or lying), cross cable row, bicep curl, outer hip and thigh, oblique twister, seated chest press, pullover, pullover with crunch, lying tricepts extension, shoulder press, core extension and toe touch stretch.
Total Gym is not just a fitness company that just popped up overnight; it has been around for more than 40 years. Former bodybuilder Tom Campanaro invented the Total Gym in 1974 with the help of Dale McMurray and Doug Marino. Over the years, the Total Gym has evolved into several upgraded versions, including the Total Gym XLS Home Gym.
For so many years, Chuck Norris, Christie Brinkley, Wesley Snipes and other celebrities have sung the praises of Total Gym brand in various commercials. Each one of them claims that they personally used the Home Gym on regular basis and give it full credit for their outstanding fitness results. However, everyone knows that a celebrity’s time is money; cash is usually the motivation behind their positive reviews.
That’s why it is important to not buy any home body weight training system just because a celebrity endorsed it.
The Total Gym XLS Home Gym is a complete body workout equipment that provides cardio, stretching and strength training. A glideboard and a bunch of useful accessories work together to help you lose weight and keep in shape. Some of the optional accessories include pull up bars, dip bars, weight bar, leg pull mechanism, ab crunch and pilates key. You can attach these accessories to the home gym to take your exercise routine to the next level. These accessories enhance the overall variety of your workouts, so you never get bored using the Home Gym.
Read on the full Total Gym XLS Home Gym Review below.
How Does Total Gym XLS Home Gym Work?
As a Universal Home Gym for full body workout, the Total Gym XLS works on your upper body, lower body, core and cardiovascular system. It is designed to strengthen and tone all muscle groups by forcing you to lift a percentage of your body weight against gravity. This activity creates “fluid resistance”.
After regular use of the Total Home Gym, your strength will improve, your body fat reduces and muscle mass will increases. Once your body get used to it, you can add further resistance by increasing the incline to lift more of your body weight.
- Length: 90 inches
- Height: 43 inches
- Width: 19 inches
- Product Materials: Steel and plastic
- Product Weight: About 85 pounds
- Weight Limit: Supports up to 400 pounds
- Folded Dimensions: 19″ width x 51″ length x 9″ height
The XLS Home Gym weighs around 85 pounds and can hold a user weight limit of up to 400 pounds. When it’s unfolded, it stretches out to 7 ½ feet long, stands about 3 ½ feet high and expands about 19 inches wide. Depending on size of your room, you may need to put it down diagonally inside the room. It has a sturdy steel frame with high-quality plastic components.
- Get a full-body workout with over 80 exercises, including strength training, cardio, circuit training and stretching.
- 1¼-inch-by-2-inch steel tubing frame with chrome-plated top rails.
- A glideboard with 1 ½ inch high-density foam padding and head support.
- An upgraded comfort system, pulley system, cable system and ribbed squat stand.
- The included wing attachment helps you build up your back and arm muscles.
- Six levels of resistance to intensify your workout.
- Folds for easy storage.
- Works for users aged eight to 80 of all fitness levels, from beginners to advanced level.
- The compact home gym also features other accessories, such as flexible nylon strap handles, leg pull accessory, soft rubber handles, five workout DVDs, exercise chart, training deck and nutrition guide.
The steel frame has a lifetime warranty.
As for parts, they only have six months of protection.
Shipping & Assembly
The shipping cost of the Total Gym XLS Home Gym can vary based on your location and selected type of delivery. You can always look for free shipping options as it can help you save money. There are no special delivery options available for now. The shipping weight for the home gym is about 92 pounds. So, you may need a dolly to help get it inside home.
The Home Gym does not need any assembling, which is one of the best features about this full body workout system. The moment you take it out of the packaging, just unfold and it’s perfectly ready to use.
Now that you know the main specs and features of the XLS Home Gym, it’s time to discuss what we like and dislike about the system.
What We Liked
- The built-quality of Total Gym XLS is truly exceptional.
- It comes at much affordable price range as compared to other similar home workout equipment.
- The Home Gym is an all-in-one workout equipment that works on all the major muscle groups of your body. With this compact home gym, you have access to over 80 different exercises. You can intensify each exercise by adjusting the resistance level.
- Increase your muscle mass and build strength with this home gym. You can do strength training, circuit training and give your cardiovascular system a much needed workout.
- People eight to 80 of any fitness level can use this exercise machine without feeling overwhelmed. In the 1980s, Total Gym brand made its mark as rehabilitation equipment for those who sustained injuries. The smooth gliding motion that the glideboard provides is easy on your joints and makes it convenient for anyone to use.
- It’s designed with a strong steel frame that keeps it still when you move. Unlike other versions of the Total Gym, the XLS model can support users up to 400 pounds.
- Another goodie is all the extra accessories that come with it. For example, the 5 Total Gym workout DVDs will teach you on how to use it and get best results. The exercise chart shows you about how to do the 35 different exercises. Plus, the nutrition guide will help you develop better eating habits.
- There’s nothing worse than having to figure out how to assemble a large piece of fitness equipment. A bonus about the Gym XLS is that it comes assembled. No need to pull out a toolbox or worry about paying extra for expert assembly service.
What We Disliked
- The parts warranty is a bit of a let down because it lasts for only six months.
Final Verdict: Is the Total Gym XLS Home Gym Worth Buying?
Other Home Gyms reviewed by us: